Bye-bye Worcester.

Though I've been in Chicago for over a month, it's still not quite home. Not the way Worcester is... was... However that will change. But before it does, I have to pay the town that was my home for 7 years its proper respects. So I wrote this homage to Worcester to get it out of my system...


There will be a lot I will miss about Worcester. After seven years of living there I had grown familiar with the city. I developed a comfort level that is generally reserved for those places that you call home. That was probably the hardest tie to sever. The fact that I was leaving the place that I called home permanently.

There are many things to miss, but my most recent abode would be tops among those I would miss most. This, my home for the last 3+ years, was the Broad Meadow Brook Wildlife Sanctuary. I’ll miss shoveling snow and operating the snow blower, mowing lawns, hiking the trails and working with the volunteers, the bicycle rides to and from Clark, cooking a nice meal or brewing beer with a close friend or going "herbal" and watching a video with another.

I’ll also miss some of my favorite haunts. Blues, patio, and ziti with meatballs at Vincent’s, the gothic style, live music and pretzels at Nick’s, and the eclectic atmosphere and shows of Ralph’s. The Armsby Abby is a recent addition to Worcester and it quickly became a favorite of mine with its good food and its variety of beers on tap. Of course, Peppercorn’s quickly followed suit with a broader beer selection and made wings night with my colleagues more attractive. However, despite the greater variety, I would still order the BBC. One part of Worcester I have missed for a long time was the passing of the Bijou. It was a great aspect of Worcester, with its artistic/foreign cinema, cold beers and hot sandwiches. It was a tragedy when that place was shut down.

Of course I cannot forget my friends at Acoustic Java. There are so many wonderful people that work at and patronize the cafe. There was generally only one place I wanted to go to get away from the office. Even if I was not in the mood for a decaf, I would get one regardless. Some of the best flatbread pizza could be found at the Corner Grille. And my favorite breakfast was the spinach and feta ommlette with home fries from the Corner Lunch. Of course in the dead of winter, there was no better belly warmer than the mac n cheese with grilled veggies from Annie’s.

Many of my fondest memories come from the barbeques that I threw and friends that attended. One of my favorites, and biggest, was my farewell barbeque. I wish I had taken more pictures, but thanks to Tara and Steve, I have a few to share. These can be found on Picasa. They were taken later in the evening when most people had left, but are a nice memoir of the night. I also want to thank all the people who showed up. I’ll miss you all, and you all have a place to visit if you are ever in Chicago.

David, Manfred, Margit, Brian, Dimitris (x2), Alfredo, Camilo, Kristen, Danielle, Ingo, Patrica, Kirk, Paul, Cara, Sarah, Chris, Justin, Kelly, Jana, Ana, Elise, Monique, Tim, Kringle, Bethany, Addison, Tyanne, ___, ___, Dave, Erica, Sara, ____, Zach, Hamil, Tara, Steve, ... and Nomar of course.

Hugs and Kisses
Andy....

Comments

carrie said…
fun to read your blog, andy. cool beans.

Popular posts from this blog

Postcards from Malaysia IV: The Borneo Blog.

Tibet 1.9 - Lhasa at last - June 3rd 2009

Postcards from Malaysia part 1: Stinkhorns and tigers and bureaucrats oh my!